Eight Types of Boxes Commonly Used in Packaging
Over a hundred years ago, folding carton packaging began the packaging industry. Today, the packaging system has evolved into a billion-dollar industry. In the modern days, packaging boxes are being used in packing almost all products, ranging from electronics, toys, cosmetics, food, and even bakery products.
There are many different types of boxes that one would generally come across in the world of packaging, therefore it is normal for one to be easily confused with the suitable type of boxes to use for packaging purposes. There are many types of boxes that have different properties and often interchangeable, such as Folding Carton boxes, Rigid boxes, corrugated boxes and Paperboard boxes.
With the amount of different boxes used in the packaging industry, it is important to be knowledgeable of the correct type of boxes that suits for needs when you require to use boxes for packaging purposes. Here are a few of the most common types of boxes we can generally come across on the packaging industry: –
1. Egg Cartons
- Egg cartons, or otherwise known as egg boxes, are cartons that are often used for transporting whole eggs safely.
- These cartons are commonly made from recycled paper or molded pulp and have dimples in which the eggs are stored and kept securely.
- In certain cases, egg cartons can be made from clear plastic or polystyrene foam.
- More commonly used in food packaging.
2. Gable Tops
- Gable top cartons are multi-layered cartons that are used to store refrigerated food products.
- These cartons are used to store products such as milk and juices.
- Gable tops are a type of aseptic cartons where a separate plastic cap is included on the top of the carton.
- This enables the carton to be reusable.
- The milk or juice can be stored in the carton and kept in the refrigerator and can be poured out when needed.
- Commonly used for food packaging.
3. Corrugated Boxes
- Corrugated boxes are light but durable boxes that are constructed of folded corrugated paperboards.
- Corrugated boxes have a stronger bending rigidity
- Corrugated boxes have a high resistance to crushing compared to most other packaging boxes.
- There are different types of corrugated boards that have different density of the arches or flutes, and the thickness of the boards.
- In most cases, multiple corrugated boards are combined to make a double wall or triple wall boxes that are stronger and thicker than most other packaging boxes.
- This enables corrugated boxes to be used in the shipping industry in which people are required to move heavy items.
- Lighter and low-cost corrugated boxes are often used in retail packaging or in packaging food. For example, pizza boxes are made from single-walled corrugated boards.
- Corrugated boxes can be easily recycled unless they are laminated with plastics.
- These boxes are often laminated with other forms of paper that enhances their appearances and promotes the brand name to many others.
4. Regular Slotted Carton (also known as RSC)
- This carton box design is the most commonly used and seen in the packaging industry as it is designed for many applications.
- RSC boxes have the usual four flaps and are generally the same length.
- The two outer flaps (otherwise known as the lengthwise flap) are one-half of the width of the container. They are designed such that they meet at the center of the box when closed.
5. Die-Cut Boxes
- Die-cut boxes are customizable corrugated cardboard boxes that are designed to fit any shape, size, or need.
- They are made from plain sheets of corrugated material on a machine which is known as a die cutter. Hence, its name: die-cut boxes.
- The procedures of manufacturing die-cut boxes begins with design specialists designing the box. Then, the die press will be set and configured to cut the cardboard. After the boxes have been cut, they can be customized by adding unique graphics that may include product information, warnings, and even company logos.
6. Boxboard or Paperboard Cartons
- Boxboard Paperboard is made from a thick paper-based material with grammage of over 250 GSM.
- Paperboard can be easily printed with rich colours, can be lined with other materials and can be folded in a complicated process.
- This makes paperboard cartons to be suitable as retail boxes that look quite appealing on store shelves. Paperboard is also used to make corrugated boards. Another version of the boxboard, called containerboard, is used to do so.
- Paperboard is generally used in electronics packaging, toys and cosmetics packaging, pharmaceutical packaging, stationery packaging, cigarette and liquor packaging and so on.
- It is easy to print on boxboard packaging as they can also be moulded.
- Boxboards are easy to laminate boxboard packaging for enhancing its strength and water-resistant properties.
- Boxboard boxes can be easily recycled, unless the boxes are laminated with plastic or printed with metalized ink.
7. Rigid Boxes
- Also known as set-up boxes
- Rigid boxes are known for their sturdiness and durability.
- They do not fold easily or collapse easily like folding boxes do.
- This type of boxes are generally used to store and keep products that are of higher quality or products of important values.
- Rigid boxes are normally used in keeping products that are easily fragile in order to ensure extra support.
- For instance, rigid boxes can be used to store branded new phones such as iPhones.
8. Folding Boxes
- Folding boxes, or otherwise known as paperboard cartons or paperboard boxes, are one of the most commonly used boxes in the packaging industries.
- Much like a cereal box, folding boxes can be folded.
- This type of box can be customised, and can be printed.
- This type of box can be reused and recycled.
To conclude, packaging boxes have evolved a lot ever since its initial release, and has become a necessity for the packaging industry. Packaging boxes are easily available in many shapes and designs, which makes it a quick solution for any packaging needs. Therefore, it is always important to consider what one is consider delivering before one selects the correct type of packaging box that fulfills your requirements. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]